Friday, July 17, 2009

Me Tarzan, You Momma


This, obviously, is a BOY story. So, all you moms of boys out there, sit back, laugh, and know you're not alone. Those of you who don't have your own boys - well, laugh anyway....

Mason unloads the dishwasher for me as his chore. And what a chore. I know, because I've been doing it for years. Not that it's hard, just.... boring, repetitive, tedious.... Hey, you're a mom, so you understand. I'm very grateful for my dishwasher, but I must confess I tend to go brain-dead while emptying this particular machine.

I am also very grateful to have a son who is tall enough and responsible enough to be entrusted with this chore.

Today, I was trying to finish up an early prep of dinner while Melanie and Marsha "requested" their lunch, TJ sang at the bar (loudly), and Emma wanted help with Math. Oh, and Mason was unloading the dishwasher. You would think he might get lost in that mix, considering that unloading the dishwasher is such a, well, background kind of job. But, this is a boy I'm telling you about. So, it was no surprise that when Mason unloaded the two 1-cup measuring cups, they were immediately turned upside down so they could appropriately tap out a rhythm on my back, with vocal accompaniment, of course. All the while, Melanie and Marsha are squawking from the living room, TJ is still talking about something in a song he is creating as he goes, and Emma is continuing her math questions. At this point, I calmly ask Mason to cease and desist from pounding on my back. He is a boy and didn't quite understand that it was now time to actually put the measuring cups away. So, he moved over to Emma's back and resumed his rhythm and rhyme. Emma is, of course, having a hard time ignoring him but does attempt to continue her math discussion. I finally asked Mason to look at my face; once we had eye contact, I slowly said, "put them away, in the drawer, without further contact with anyone's body." He was quite willing to obey but obviously had no concept he was being, well, annoying.

In the midst of the chaos, my helpful best friend volunteered a title to this blog when she giggled and chirped, "Me Tarzan, You Momma." I'm pretty sure she was only laughing because her house was quiet.

But you know what? In the midst of hearing so many moms say they can't wait for school to start, I will be glad for the noise. I am so blessed by all of my children, especially my very own little drummer boy! What an adventure they bring to each and every day!

1 comment: